International Sociological Association Election of the ISA officers
for the period Fall 2014 – Summer 2018
ISA home > Election ISA officers > List of nominees
Sari Hanafi is currently a Professor of Sociology at the American University of Beirut and editor of Idafat: the Arab Journal of Sociology (in Arabic). He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the International Sociological Association and the Arab Council of Social Science. He holds a PhD in Sociology from the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales in Paris. He has served as a Visiting Professor at the University of Poitiers and Migrinter (France) and the University of Bologna and Ravenna (Italy) and as a visiting fellow in CMI, Bergen (Norway). He is also the former Director of the Palestinian Refugee and Diaspora Centre (Shaml), 2000-2004, and a former senior researcher at the Cairo-based French research center, Centre d’études et de documentation économique juridique et sociale (CEDEJ), 1994-2000.
He is the author of numerous journal articles and book chapters on the political and economic sociology of the Palestinian diaspora and refugees, sociology of migration, politics of scientific research, civil society and elite formation, and transitional justice. He has written nine books in Arabic, English, and French that were the fruit of collaboration with international research teams based in France, Europe, Israel, Palestinian territories and Lebanon. Among his recent books are: The Emergence of a Palestinian Globalized Elite: Donors, International Organizations and Local NGOs (in Arabic and English, 2005) and Pouvoir et associations dans le monde arabe (co-edited with S. Bennéfissa, Paris: CNRS, 2002). He has a forthcoming book: The (im)possible Research Practice: Deconstructing the Arab Knowledge Society (with Rigas Arvanitis).
Priorities if elected Vice-President
I have an extensive experience in organizing and managing scientific communities, as a member of the Executive Committee of the International Sociological Association, a board member and the head of seminar and conference committee of the Arab Council of Social Science, and finally a member of the administrative committee of the Arab Sociological Association.
Among other activities, I have raised funds from different donors to support the participation of Arab sociologists to the Yokohama Congress. In addition, I was Director of the Palestinian Refugee and Diaspora Centre (Shaml) from 2000 to 2004, where I learned my preliminary skills of communication and networking. I have also organized over 20 academic conferences and workshops over the past nineteen years in different topics related to sociology.
If elected to the post of the Vice-President for Council of National Associations, I would commit to the following five priorities:
- Encourage more North-South collaboration at the level of individuals, institutions, and collective sociological communities.
- Encourage sociologists from all over the world, but particularly from South America, Africa and the Middle East, to join the association, as the number of ISA members in these regions is currently fairly small.
- Raise funds to subsidize the participation of sociologists from Category B and C in ISA conferences.
- Encourage national associations in South America, Africa and the Middle East as well as Europe to become collective members of the ISA.
- Invite the ISA to participate more effectively in supporting national scientific communities by paying more visits to their associations and encouraging regional networking.
International Sociological Association