I. RESEARCH COMMITTEE 01
RC 01 was initially established by the International
Sociological Association in 1970 with the title "Armed Forces
and Society". In 1980, reflecting a broadening of its orientation,
the RC was renamed "Armed Forces and Conflict Resolution";
in French: "Forces Armees et Resolution des Conflits".
A. In order to encourage research on armed forces
and conflict resolution, the RC shall:
1. develop professional contacts between sociologists
of armed forces and conflict resolution throughout the world
2. encourage the international exchange of research findings, theoretical
developments, and methodologies in the sociology of armed forces
and conflict resolution; and
3. promote the teaching of course materials dealing with armed forces
and conflict resolution at undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate
4. promote international meetings and research collaboration in
the field of armed forces and conflict resolution.
B. In accordance with ISA guidelines, the RC:
1. shall have at least one Interim Meeting between
World Congresses of the ISA, and
2. shall issue an annual Newsletter to all the members
of the RC.
C. A Business Meeting of the RC shall be held at
the World Congress and at the Interim Meeting(s).
A. The officers of the RC shall consist of a President,
three Vice Presidents, six to eight Executive Committee Members,
and an Executive Secretary. The officers collectively are hereafter
referred to as the Executive Board.
1. The officers shall serve a term of four years.
2. The term shall be one from one quadrennial World Congress of
Sociology to the next.
3. Officers may serve more than one term.
B. The election of officers will be conducted in
a manner maximizing membership voting.
1. Mailed ballots will be sent to the entire membership
by the Executive Secretary before the summer of every fourth year.
2. Ballots will be returned to the Executive Secretary for counting
prior to the meetings of the RC at the World Congress.
3. Newly elected officers will be announced through the ISA Bulletin,
the RC Newsletter and at the meetings of the RC at the World Congress.
C. The Executive Board of the RC will form or designate
a nominating committee for the next slate of officers.
1. The nominating committee will consider geographical
representation among its criteria.
2. A write-in section will be present for each elected office in
A. Any social scientist active in research or teaching
on armed forces and conflict resolution is eligible for membership.
1. To be a member in good standing a nominal due
will be paid directly to the Executive Secretary of the RC. Such
dues will be used for the administrative costs of the RC.
2. If for reasons of currency controls or lack of finances, the
dues requirement will be waived at the discretion of the Executive
3. All members in good standing have the same voting rights and
eligibility to hold office.
B. Individuals seeking membership on the RC will
inform either the Executive Secretary or the President.
IV. SUBCOMMITTEES AND REGIONAL
A. The President of the RC may appoint subcommittees
B. Regional study groups of the RC may be established
with the approval of the President and in consultation with the
A. The President shall report on the funds of the
RC at the Interim Meetings and at the World Congress.
B. The Executive Secretary in collaboration with
the President shall be responsible for the Newsletter.
C. In the event of a vacancy on the Executive Board,
the President in consultation with the Executive Board may appoint
a replacement until the next election.
The By-laws of the RC may be amended by a two-thirds
vote of the voting membership either through mail ballot or at the
Business Meetings of the RC.
VII. MEMBERSHIP DUES
Members follow the guide for membership dues as given
in each RC 01 Newsletter and which currently range from 25 to 50,-
USD depending on status (student - established academic) and country
of origin (according to the country Categories A, B and C by the
VIII. METHODS OF PAYMENT
Membership dues are to be directed to the Executive
Secretary who runs a bank account on behalf of RC 01. There are
various ways of payment. Instructions on these methods of payment
are given in each RC 01 Newsletter.