Social Stratification RC28
1. Research Committee 28 on Social Stratification and Social Mobility (hereafter RC28) has been established in accordance with article 4 of the statutes of the International Sociological Association (hereafter ISA). Its general objectives are to promote high quality research on social stratification and social mobility, and the international exchange of scientific information in this field.
2. To bring these objectives to realization, RC28 will carry out the following activities:
3. Any social scientist can be a member of the RC28, provided:
4. RC28 members have the rights:
5. The Board shall consist of a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 9 members, who will designate a President and a Secretary-Treasurer among themselves. No member of the Board can serve more than two consecutive terms, unless s/he serves extra terms as President or Secretary-Treasurer. The Board shall contain no more than three members from the same country. An effort shall be made to ensure a fair regional, national and gender representation, and also that each Board consists of some continuing and some new members. Board members should be nominated, above all, in recognition of their activity in RC28 and their contributions to stratification scholarship.
6. The duties of the Board are:
7. Board meetings must be called by at least two members of the Board, at least one month before the meeting. A Board meeting can only take valid decisions if 2/3 of the Board members is present, or if an immediately preceding Board meeting has been called without reaching this quorum. Board decisions can also be taken by mail ballot among the Board members. The Board takes its decisions by simple majority.
BUSINESS MEETING ASSEMBLY
9. A Business Meeting Assembly is held at least every four years, preferably at the World Congress. The meeting is chaired by the President of the RC28. Votes can only be cast by RC28 members in good standing who are present at the meeting. The duties of the Assembly are:
10. The RC will administer its own funds. Expenses are made by the board or by the Secretary-Treasurer on its behalf, pending authorization by the Board. A statement of financial affairs will be published in the Newsletter every four years. The outgoing Board needs to be discharged for their financial responsibilities by the Business Meeting Assembly.
11. The funds of the RC28 consists of:
12. The membership fees are:
US $80 - regular four-year membership.
The membership and conference fees are set by decision of the Board.
13. These statutes were adopted by the Business Meeting Assembly at ISA World Congress in Bielefeld, Germany, July 20th 1994. Changes in and amendments to these statutes must be proposed in writing by at least five RC28 members in good standing, and must be approved by two-thirds of the votes in a mail ballot or Business Meeting Assembly.
Posted at May 19,