ISA Forum of Sociology
Guidelines for Presenters
1. How to present a paper
Anyone interested in presenting a paper should submit an abstract on-line through a centralized platform open from April 25 through September 30, 2019, 24:00 GMT.
Please follow the below listed steps:
- List of sessions are available in the relevant Research Committee, Working Group and Thematic Group sections.
- The author is required to choose the RC/WG/TG session in which s/he wishes the abstract to be included.
Submit abstract: April 25 till September 30, 2019, 24:00 GMT
Participants must submit abstracts on-line to a selected session of a Research Committee, Working Group, Thematic Group. Only abstracts submitted on-line will be considered in the selection process.
- One cannot submit more than two abstracts.
- One cannot submit the same abstract to two different sessions.
- The abstract text cannot contain more than 300 words (including references, if needed) and must be submitted in English, French or Spanish.
- It is the author’s responsibility to submit a correct abstract; any errors in spelling, grammar, or scientific fact will be reproduced as typed by the author.
- All changes/updates should be done via on-line system by September 30, 2019 24:00 GMT. Once abstracts have been accepted, no changes in authorship and text can be made.
- Each abstract received on-line will be assigned an identification number.
Notification: December 2, 2019
- Submitters will be informed by December 2, 2019, whether their papers have been accepted for presentation.
- A final presentation designation (oral presentation, distributed paper, poster, or round table presentation) will be indicated. This information can be modified later by Session Organizers once registration check has been completed.
2. Registration deadline for presenters
March 19, 2020, 24:00 GMT
- In order to be included in the program the participants (presenters, chairs, discussants, etc.) must pay full registration fees by March 19, 2020. If not registered, their names will not appear in the Program Book and in the Abstracts Book.
On the registration deadline March 19, 2020, presenters who have failed to register will be automatically deleted from the program.
- In case of a co-authored paper, in order for a paper to appear in the program, at least one co-author must pay the registration fee by the early registration deadline March 19, 2020; the names of other co-authors will be listed as well.
If other co-authors wish to attend the conference they must pay the registration fee.
It is very important that all participants respect conference deadlines concerning registration and submission of abstracts. No extension of deadlines is possible.
3. Rules for all presenters
- Limited appearance in the Program
A person may be listed in the Program
• up to 3 times as Session Organizer
• up to 2 times as author or co-author (oral or poster presentation, distributed paper, roundtable presenter)
• up to 2 times as chair or co-chair, panellist, critic, discussant
RC/WG/TGs can further limit the number of appearances within their own sessions.
There is a limit of:
• 3 co-organizers per session
• 7 authors per abstract
Authors and co-authors cannot present and chair in the same session.
- ISA and RC/WG/TG membership
ISA does not require anyone to be a member in order to present a paper, and provides different registration fees for members and non-members. Those RCs which require that presenters in their sessions are members of the RC, and/or also of ISA, should clearly inform potential presenters about these requirements from the very start of conference preparations.
- Registration grants application deadline: January 31, 2020, 24:00 GMT
Applications for registration grants should be submitted to Program Coordinators by January 31, 2020. For more details, see https://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/forum/porto-alegre-2020/registration-grants-2020
4. Additional information
The working language of the Congress is English. All printed materials will be in English. Most sessions will be in English, except some organized by the Research Committees, Working Groups and Thematic Groups that will be conducted in Spanish or French. Please check the program.
Simultaneous translation in English, French and Spanish will be provided only for the Opening and Closing Presidential Sessions.
Presentations must be made in any of the ISA’s three official languages: English, French, and Spanish.
- Roundtable sessions
Five concurrent running round tables are set up at the same time and in the same room, with 5-6 presenters at each table.
- Distributed papers
Distributed papers should be treated like any regular conference papers except that normally they are not presented. Only if a scheduled presenter of a regular paper does not show up, the first participant listed under distributed papers will be asked to present his/her paper.
Distributed papers will be listed in the program and their abstracts will be included in the Abstracts Book, providing the authors pay a registration fee in time.
Authors of distributed papers shall bring copies of their paper for session participants. Please contact your Session Organizer for further instructions.
- Poster presentation
Abstracts of poster presentations should be submitted on-line to selected RC/WG/TG sessions; please state it is for a poster presentation. It is up to each Research Committee, Working Group and Thematic Group to organize poster sessions.
The size of accepted posters should be no larger than 114.3 cm x 114.3 cm
(45 x 45 inches)
- Full papers submission
ISA does not collect nor publish papers presented at its conferences. Each Research Committee, Working and Thematic Group establishes its own rules on full papers submissions. Please contact your Session Organiser for further instructions.
- Letter of acceptance
For a letter stating that your paper has been accepted for presentation, please contact directly your Session Organizer.
Certificates for authors (oral presentations and distributed papers), panelists, chairs and session organizers that appear in the program will be available for downloading at the Speaker’s Corner after the conference
If you have questions please use the relevant e-mail address of contacts below:
• ISA membership: email@example.com
• Conference registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Letters of invitation: contact your Session Organizer