Executive Committee 2010-2014
- Assistant to Full Professor, 1976-Present, University of California, Berkeley.
- Chair Department of Sociology, U.C. Berkeley, 1996-98, 2000-2002.
- Visiting Positions: Yale, Wisconsin, Northwestern (US), Hungarian Academy of Sciences, EHESS (Paris) and Witwatersrand (Johannesburg).
- Research outside US: Zambia (1968-72); Hungary (1982-89); Russia (1991-2002)
- American Sociological Association, Executive Council, 2000-20005, President, 2003-2004
- Editorial Boards of 15 National and International Journals
- Distinguished Teaching Awards: University of California (1979 and 2007) and ASA (2003)
- Vice-President for National Associations, International Sociological Association, 2006-2010
Four Selected Publications
- The Color of Class: From African Advancement to Zambianization (1972)
- Manufacturing Consent (1979)
- The Politics of Production: Factory Regimes under Capitalism and Socialism (1985)
- Global Ethnography: Forces, Connections and Imaginations in a Postmodern World (2000)
- The Extended Case Method: Four Countries, Four Decades, Four Great Transformations and One Theoretical Tradition (2009)
- B.A. Mathematics, University of Cambridge, England, 1968.
- M.A. Sociology, University of Zambia, 1972.
- Ph.D. Sociology, University of Chicago, 1976.
International Sociological Association