ISA World Congress of Sociology
Call for bid for venue to host the
ISA WORLD CONGRESS OF SOCIOLOGY 2026
The Executive Committee of the International Sociological Association invites all ISA collective members to make a bid for the site of XX ISA World Congress of Sociology in 2026.
The bids should be received by the ISA Secretariat no later than
December 1, 2019 Extended deadline July 31, 2021.
Offers to host a World Congress should be extended by national sociological associations, collective members of the ISA, in order to ensure that there is an active sociological community in the country concerned which is formally committed to organizing the congress. While first initiatives may obviously emanate from other institutions (universities or sociology departments, national tourist organizations, airlines, congress centers, professional congress organizers, etc.), these initiatives will only be seriously considered by the ISA Executive Committee if fully backed by the national sociological association concerned.
A collective member that wishes to host a Congress shall indicate the availability of an adequate Congress site for a minimum of one week, preferably during the months of July or August. Adequate shall be defined as meeting the following conditions:
Facilities for 4,000 or more persons in attendance must be available at a reasonable cost, and must include:
- Plenary hall for at least for 3,000 persons
- 6 rooms for 300 persons (simultaneous semi-plenary sessions)
- 65 rooms for simultaneous sessions by Research Committees:
- 6 rooms for 250 persons
- 6 rooms for 200 persons
- 15 rooms for 150 persons
- 14 rooms for 100 persons
- 12 rooms for 75 persons
- 12 rooms for 60 persons
- Book exhibition space for approx. 30 book sellers
- Luncheon facilities on the conference site or in restaurants within walking distance that could serve 4,000 persons within two hours;
- At the conference site, or in very close proximity, the following services must be available : banking, postal and public copy facilities, travel agency and medical service.
Technical Equipment Requirements
- Wi-Fi at the conference site
- Standard audio-visual equipment in all session rooms: computer with Power Point and data projector.
- Availability of other equipment: internet connection, video player, slide projector, overhead projector, projection screen, white/blackboard or flip charts, microphone system (if needed)
- Office facilities for an ISA Secretariat of at least 5 persons with computer, printer, copying machine, internet connection
Hotel Facility Requirements
- Efficient and reliable hotel-booking system
- Total room capacity in the city of more than 4,000 rooms
- Hotels of different categories:
- 40% two star hotels
- 50% three star hotels
- 10% four star hotels
- Availability of medium and low-cost accommodation (including student dormitories) for at least 2,000 persons.
- A distance between conference venue and hotels no more than 10 minutes by public transport or 20 minutes on foot
- An international airport, with regular, direct connection to all main airports world-wide, must be located close to the host city.
- A possibility of the conference airline with discount offers.
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) must be committed to assist in the organisation of the following aspects of the conference:
- Design of conference poster and logo
- Organisation of sessions on national sociology / social issues in cooperation with the ISA Program Committee
- Opening Ceremony and Reception
- Social program, for example conference party and/or other cultural events
- Address problems regarding visa for participants coming from many different countries
- Responsibility for the tasks associated with ensuring that the conference runs smoothly, including at least: establishing media relations, developing regional contacts, encouraging participation in the conference, mobilizing volunteers
- Rent of the conference venue(s), including book exhibition and social events
- Preparation and handling of sight-seeing tours
- On-line booking of hotel accommodation for participants
- Production of paraphernalia (t-shirts, logos, souvenirs, etc.) for sale at the conference (optional)
The following financial aspects should be taken into consideration when preparing a bid. Please clearly specify the cost for each point:
- Conference facilities:
- rent and cleaning;
- technical equipment and support;
- signs and decoration;
- internet connection, Wi-Fi;
- exhibition space;
- registration area
- Medical and child-care services; special arrangements for disabled participants
- Streaming with subtitles in English/French/Spanish of Plenary Sessions (provide cost per 2-hour session)
- Conference materials:
- design of conference poster and logo;
- conference bag (incl. local information, maps);
- Social events: Opening Ceremony and Reception; tourism programs
- Exhibition handling expenses
- Cost of a Professional Congress Organiser company selected for the event
- A list of approximate air fares from representative sites across the globe, including what reduction might be secured from the national or other airlines
The bidder shall demonstrate its ability to assume advance costs (from its own funds or from subsidies it shall obtain locally) for the conference on the following basis:
- ISA works normally with its own PCO which handles all pre-registrations as well as on-the-spot registrations during the conference week. The ISA shall set registration fees.
- ISA Program Committee assumes responsibility for preparing the scientific program, together with the Local Organizing Committee composed of representatives of the local sociological association(s).
- The LOC shall secure funds to finance a one-week seminar preceding the Congress for the winners of the Worldwide Competition for Junior Sociologists.
- The LOC shall seek funds to help meet the travel expenses of Congress paper-givers coming from the less developed countries.
- The surplus from receipts of the Congress shall be divided 80-20 between the ISA and the LOC.
DEADLINE FOR BIDS
Bids, including all information requested in this call, should be received by the ISA Secretariat (see contact information below) no later than
December 1, 2019 Extended deadline July 31, 2020.
International Sociological Association
Faculty of Political Sciences and Sociology
Campus de Somosaguas
28223 Madrid, Spain