ISA Forum of Sociology
Guidelines for Presenters
The ISA Executive Committee has decided to postpone the IV ISA Forum of Sociology in Porto Alegre, Brazil, until February 23-27, 2021.
New guidelines and deadlines are as follows:
October 15, 2020 Confirmation of participation
- Authors of the accepted abstracts are requested to confirm they participation through speaker’s corner.
- The abstracts that have not been confirmed are automatically deleted from the program.
- Based on information about already cancelled presentations, Session Organizers and Program Coordinators may upgrade distributed papers and papers presented in roundtable sessions to oral presentations in a regular panel. Session Organizers and Program Coordinators inform the concerned participants about the new status of their paper and ask them to confirm their participation to the Forum.
October 26 - November 12, 2020 Call for Abstracts
- New abstracts’ proposals shall be submitted on-line via Confex platform to a general "bucket" session opened for each RC/TG/WG. Submitters may indicate in which session this proposal better fits. RC/TG/WG session themes are available at https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/forum2020/webprogrampreliminary/programs.html.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English, French or Spanish. Only abstracts submitted on-line will be considered in the selection process.
November 24, 2020 Notification
- Submitters will be informed whether their papers have been accepted for presentation.
- A final presentation designation (oral presentation, distributed paper, poster, or round table presentation) will be indicated. This information can be modified later by Session Organizers once registration check has been completed.
December 15, 2020, 24:00 GMT Registration deadline for presenters
- In order to be included in the program the participants (presenters, chairs, discussants, etc.) must pay full registration fees by December 15, 2020. If not registered, their names will not appear in the Program Book and in the Abstracts Book.
On the registration deadline December 15, 2020, presenters who have failed to register will be automatically deleted from the program.
- In case of a co-authored paper, in order for a paper to appear in the program, at least one co-author must pay the registration fee by the early registration deadline December 15, 2020; the names of other co-authors will be listed as well.
If other co-authors wish to attend the conference they must pay the registration fee.
It is very important that all participants respect conference deadlines concerning registration and submission of abstracts. No extension of deadlines is possible.
2. Rules for all presenters
- Limited appearance in the Program
A person may be listed in the Program
• up to 3 times as Session Organizer
• up to 2 times as author or co-author (oral or poster presentation, distributed paper, roundtable presenter)
• up to 2 times as chair or co-chair, panellist, critic, discussant
RC/WG/TGs can further limit the number of appearances within their own sessions.
There is a limit of:
• 3 co-organizers per session
• 7 authors per abstract
Authors and co-authors cannot present and chair in the same session.
- ISA and RC/WG/TG membership
ISA does not require anyone to be a member in order to present a paper, and provides different registration fees for members and non-members. Those RCs which require that presenters in their sessions are members of the RC, and/or also of ISA, should clearly inform potential presenters about these requirements from the very start of conference preparations.
- Registration grants
If recipients of a registration grant cancelled their participation, Program Coordinators may reallocate these registration grants to other presenters who are individual ISA members in good standing. Please contact your Program Coordinator by November 25, 2020.
3. Additional information
The working language of the Congress is English. All printed materials will be in English. Most sessions will be in English, except some organized by the Research Committees, Working Groups and Thematic Groups that will be conducted in Spanish or French. Please check the program.
Simultaneous translation in English, French and Spanish will be provided only for the Opening and Closing Presidential Sessions.
Presentations must be made in any of the ISA’s three official languages: English, French, and Spanish.
- Roundtable sessions
Five concurrent running round tables are set up at the same time and in the same room, with 5-6 presenters at each table.
- Distributed papers
Distributed papers should be treated like any regular conference papers except that normally they are not presented. Only if a scheduled presenter of a regular paper does not show up, the first participant listed under distributed papers will be asked to present his/her paper.
Distributed papers will be listed in the program and their abstracts will be included in the Abstracts Book, providing the authors pay a registration fee in time.
Authors of distributed papers shall bring copies of their paper for session participants. Please contact your Session Organizer for further instructions.
- Poster presentation
Abstracts of poster presentations should be submitted on-line to selected RC/WG/TG sessions; please state it is for a poster presentation. It is up to each Research Committee, Working Group and Thematic Group to organize poster sessions.
The size of accepted posters should be no larger than 114.3 cm x 114.3 cm
(45 x 45 inches)
- Skype presentation
Please contact directly your Session Organizer who decides whether presentations by Skype are accepted in the session she/he organises.
Contact details of Session Organisers are available at https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/forum2020/webprogrampreliminary/programs.html
- Full papers submission
ISA does not collect nor publish papers presented at its conferences. Each Research Committee, Working and Thematic Group establishes its own rules on full papers submissions. Please contact your Session Organiser for further instructions.
- Letter of acceptance
For a letter stating that your paper has been accepted for presentation, please contact directly your Session Organizer.
Certificates for authors (oral presentations and distributed papers), panelists, chairs and session organizers that appear in the program will be available for downloading at the Speaker’s Corner after the conference
If you have questions please use the relevant e-mail address of contacts below:
- ISA membership: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conference registration: email@example.com
- Letters of invitation: contact your Session Organizer