Call for bids for venue host of the V ISA Forum of Sociology 2024
The Executive Committee of the International Sociological Association (ISA) invites all ISA collective members to make a bid for the site of the ISA Forum of Sociology in 2024. The bids should be submitted by December 1, 2020.
The conference venue must be available for 4 days, preferably during the months July-August 2024.
THE ISA FORUM
The ISA Forum is an international conference designed first and foremost as a meeting place for over 60 ISA Research Committees, Working Groups, and Thematic Groups. Aiming to provide an array of opportunities for the promotion of global dialogue about transformative change, it focuses on a socially relevant theme, involving public actors, to which different areas of sociology can contribute. Examples of such themes include environmental issues, human rights, welfare, social justice, inequality, and democratic participation.
The first ISA Forum was held in Barcelona, Spain (2008), the second in Buenos Aires, Argentina (2002), the third in Vienna, Austria (2016) and attracted 4231 participants.The fourth Forum will take place at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul in Porto Alegre, Brazil, in July 2020. ISA will be organising its fifth Forum in 2024.
The ISA aims for geographic diversity when selecting the locations of its events in order to reflect its global membership.
Facilities for 3,000 or more attendees must be available for free, or at a minimal cost, and must include:
- Plenary hall with a capacity of at least 2,000 persons
- 3 rooms with a capacity of 300 persons (simultaneous semi-plenary sessions)
- 65 session rooms for simultaneous sessions by Research Committees:
- 6 rooms for 250 persons
- 6 rooms for 200 persons
- 15 rooms for 150 persons
- 14 rooms for 100 persons
- 12 rooms for 75 persons
- 12 rooms for 60 persons
- Book exhibition space for approx. 30 book sellers
- Luncheon facilities on the conference site or in restaurants within walking distance that can serve 2,000 persons within two hours
- At the conference site, or in very close proximity, the following services must be available: banking, postal, and public copy facilities, travel agency and medical services
Technical Equipment Requirements
- Wi-Fi at the conference site
- Standard audio-visual equipment in all session rooms: computer with PowerPoint and data projector
- Availability of other equipment including: internet connection, video player, slide projector, overhead projector, projection screen, white/blackboard or flipcharts, and a microphone system (if needed)
- Office facilities for an ISA Secretariat for 5 persons equipped with computer, printer, copying machine, internet connection
Hotel Facility Requirements
- Efficient and reliable hotel-booking system
- Hotels of different categories:
- 40% two star hotels
- 50% three star hotels
- 10% four star hotels
- Availability of medium and low-cost accommodations (including student dormitories) for at least 2,000 persons
- A distance between conference venue and hotels of no more than 10 minutes by public transport or 20 minutes on foot
- An international airport, with regular, direct connections to all main airports world-wide, must be located close to the host city.
- A possibility of the conference airline with discount offers.
LOCAL ORGANISING COMMITTEE
The Local Organising Committee must be committed to assist in the organisation of the following aspects of the event:
- Design of conference poster and logo
- Organisation of sessions on national sociology / social issues in cooperation with the ISA Program Committee
- Opening Ceremony and Reception
- Social programme, for example conference party and/or other cultural events
- Address problems regarding visa for participants coming from many different countries
- Responsibility for the tasks associated with ensuring that the conference runs smoothly, including at least: establishing media relations, developing regional contacts, encouraging participation in the conference, mobilizing volunteers
- Rent of the conference venue(s), including book exhibition and social events
- Preparation and handling of sight-seeing tours
- On-line booking of hotel accommodation for participants
- Production of paraphernalia (t-shirts, logos, souvenirs, etc.) for sale at the conference (optional)
The following financial aspects should be taken into consideration when preparing a bid. Please clearly specify the costs for each point.
- Conference facilities: rent and cleaning; technical equipment and support; signs and decoration; internet connection, Wi-Fi, exhibition space; registration area
- Medical and child-care services; special arrangements for disabled participants
- Streaming with subtitles in English/French/Spanish of Plenary Sessions (provide cost per 2-hour session)
- Conference materials: design of conference poster and logo; conference bag (incl. local information, maps, etc.)
- Social events: Opening Ceremony and Reception; tourism programs
- Exhibition handling expenses
- Cost of a Professional Conference Organiser company selected for the event
- A list of approximate air fares from representative sites across the globe, including what reduction might be secured from the national or other airlines
The bidder shall demonstrate its ability to assume advance costs (from its own funds or from subsidies it shall obtain locally) for the conference on the following basis:
o ISA works normally with its own PCO that handles all pre-registrations as well as on-the-spot registrations during the conference week. The ISA shall set registration fees.
o ISA Program Committee assumes responsibility for preparing the scientific program, together with the Local Organizing Committee composed of representatives of the local sociological association(s).
o The LOC shall seek funds to help meet the travel expenses of conference paper-givers coming from the less developed countries.
o The surplus from receipts of the conference shall be divided 80-20 between the ISA and the LOC.
DEADLINE FOR BIDS
Bids, including all information requested in this call, should be received by the ISA Secretariat (see contact information below) no later than December 1, 2020. A decision will be made by the ISA Executive Committee at its Spring 2021 annual meeting.
International Sociological Association
Faculty of Political Sciences and Sociology
Campus de Somosaguas
28223 Madrid, Spain